Abstractionist layouts use the visual language of form, color, and line to communicate a message, establish a mood or tell a visual story. The style relies on photo and page masks, blending and an assortment of brush tips to embellish the page. But what sets Abstractionist layouts apart from other styles?
In my Let Him Guide You This Way layout, I share how to alter a photo and background using brushwork, page masks and photo-building to create a stunning, Abstractionist layout.
We'll explore the following techniques:
- Blend 3 colorful, brushwork infused backgrounds together using a single blend mode
- Reveal a photo using distressed brush tips and convert into a complimenting abstract piece
- Colorization using a Gradient Map Adjustment layer
- Use additional paint to fill in the gaps of the layout
- Runtime: 33 minutes
- Recorded using: Adobe Photoshop® CC and Adobe Elements® 2018
- Recommended Photoshop® software: Adobe Photoshop® CS6 and versions above including CC (Creative Cloud)
- Recommended Elements® software: Adobe Elements® 2015 and versions above
- Required Kit: Fresh Is Digital Kit by Maya de Groot
- Includes: Barely There Brushes by Simply Tiffany Studios